Floor Stain Stencil

Floor Stain Stencil

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Product Fail

If it ain't broke, don't change it.
So, a while back I went to the store to buy a new bottle of hand cream.  I check the label and find that St. Ives has changed the formula.  Having allergies and sensitivities to lots of things, I check the label.  Oh, this should be "interesting".  In the big bottle, they have added what is called a "light, hypo-allergenic fragrance".  What is wrong with a product smelling like nothing!  Quite frankly, I don't care if the fragrance has been proven to be hypo-allergenic.  It doesn't matter, because it smells so bad, I would avoid using the hand cream to avoid the stench.  And hubby definitely would not want to use it when he goes hunting.  The smell just screams human presence!

So, I tried the little tube.  Note that the little tube (7.5 oz) of fragrance-free body cream was basically the same price as the big bottle (21 oz.) of stinky lotion.  It makes the new claim "clinically proven to provide targeted 24 hour relief".  I tried it.  I don't know exactly what they are using in the newer 24 hour creams to make them last that long, but my skin felt like it was suffocating.  (As a note, I am one of those people who cannot stand wearing finger nail polish either.)  Goodbye St. Ives; you are not getting any more of my money!

Then the hunt for an acceptable hand cream with fairly natural and mostly pronounceable ingredients began again.  The shelves of stores are loaded with so many choices; most of which stink of really horrible perfumes.  I came to the conclusion I might have to find something with a fragrance that I could tolerate with a price that would not break the bank.  I hit pay-dirt with the new Carmex Healing lotion, something special from Wisconsin. 
The fragrance smells like vanilla with Carmex undertones.  I really like the new lotion.  So does Chloe the dog; she tries to lick it off my fingers if I let my hands within reach of her tongue.  I should not be surprised, she likes their lip balm too.

This hand cream works great for me, but may not be for everyone who has allergies.  My aunt is allergic to grasses, which makes things containing aloe like poison to her.  Other folks who are allergic to wool might also have trouble with the lanolin.  That is the trouble with natural ingredients and folks with allergies to things in nature.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. I used to use this aloe gel from St. Ives, of course, being sensitive skin friendly, they discontinued it.

    I have rosacea, which brings with it acne and dryness and all kinds of issues, plus sensitve bone white, Celt/Norwegian/Cree skin. You don't see the Cree except in the large,someone flat, almond eyes, but the skin just screams Celt! Sunburn! The only thing I've found that calmed it was some stuff from Meadowlake Farms in Ohio. (All natural, honey and other natural ingredients). I actually got carded the other day!!! You can google them, it's a family run place, small. I had images of it as run by hippies in earth shoes and when I mistakenly sent an email from my non shopping email which has a large firearm with (you can't buy this as a civilian) silencer on it, the person on the other end said "it's great you can combine hobbies and work." Sold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, acne and dry skin at once, not a fun combination.

    Carded, that's funny!

    I hear you on the sunburn. My hair was a lot redder as a child, and so was my skin if I spent too much time in the sun. When the census forms arrived, my answer of "American" triggered a follow up visit from the census folks who weren't happy with my answer. My response, "If you had a box to check that included German, French, Dutch, Irish, Scottish, and Cherokee, I would have checked it." And those are only the ethnic groups that I know are in the family tree. I think American was an appropriate response, since it is pretty much impossible to get that combination anywhere else in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually like St Ives, but I have to admit I don't buy their lotions any more. Have you looked at the Aveeno line? Some are scented, but it usually SAYS so.

    For non-face and hand lotions I've been using some body butters made by a friend of mine. They ARE scented, but she's honest about it, and exactly whats in them, and puts quite a bit of effort into avoiding common allergens. Probly wouldn't work for a hunter, but even my husband uses them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked at the Aveeno products. Then I looked at the price tag, and I kept searching. Hubby does like the Aveeno fragrance free shave gel though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They aren't cheap, but I like them alot

    ReplyDelete