Floor Stain Stencil

Floor Stain Stencil

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Growing Things

Guess the mini-greenhouse experiment is working so far.
Still cannot get over how early this spring is.
We are supposed to get some near freezing lows this coming week.
Hopefully, the mini-greenhouse will keep the plants warm enough.



Oddly enough, the only things not popping
out of the ground so far are the spinach and lettuce. 
Some of the seeds were really old - oh well.
The carrots also seem a bit slow compared to the other plants.
Good news, the seeds from the Musquee de Provence pumpkins
are quite fertile;
those particular seeds were still inside a pumpkin
only a few weeks ago.
Bad news, I don't have enough dirt to plant all the seeds I have.
Does anybody need some pumpkin seeds,
and does anybody know if there are any laws against mailing seeds?
I have had mischievous thoughts about planting them on land that doesn't belong to me, but that might get me in trouble.
There is this field out in a public hunting area,
and I have heard that deer love to eat pumpkins.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not aware of any laws against mailing seeds (I'd ship in a padded envelope just to be safe though). I'm not an expert, but I did dig through postal regulations several years ago when I was breeding fish and mailing THEM out.

    I'm kinda tempted on the pumpkins.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I'll probably check with the post office if somebody actually asks me to send them some. Since teleportation to an email address has not been invented yet, the postal carriers are the only way to move things.

      What sort of fish did you breed, aquarium fish or the kind that people eat?

      The temperatures today are 35 and windy, back to "normal". I hope the plants made it through the night alright, but I will have to wait until it warms up to open the greenhouse and check.

      Delete
    2. Siamese Fighting Fish, or Betta Splendens if you prefer the official name, if that doesn't mean anything its those sad looking colorful long finned fish that the petstores sell in little cups and everyone thinks they're so horrible for it....but they don't have much other choice if they're going to sell them, bettas either beat the heck out of the other fish in the holding tanks, or get the snot beaten out of them. One or the other.

      And now that I think about it both places I ordered seeds from this year put them in a padded envelope and sent them first class USPS, though I can't swear they didn't have some kind of special permits, but there was nothing on the packages saying so.

      Unfortunetly if I DID put in pumpkins I suspect I WOULD find out if deer like them....

      Delete
    3. I worked at a pet store in high school; had to clean the beta bowls. Yeah, they are violent little buggers. It isn't fair that the males are prettier than the females. One of the requirements of the job was to keep a fish tank of my own so that I could relate to the problems that aquarium owners have. I opted for Green Severum Cichlids and actually managed to get a breeding pair. Their courtship consists of a rather violent tug of war; they bite each other's mouths and pull. If they are equally matched in strength and meanness, they set up housekeeping. I ended up having three fish tanks, one for mommy Severum, one for Daddy Severum, and one for the babies once mommy Severum was finished behaving like a mom. Thankfully, my boss bought the progeny when they were old enough.

      Don't know how big your yard is. But if it is huge, you could plant so many pumpkins that the deer couldn't possibly eat them all. On the upside, if they ate the pumpkins, the deer would be so regular that you would get lots of free fertilizer out of them.

      Delete
    4. hah, cichlids are fun. I never had the space to really play with them though. That was the nice thing about bettas, I could have a million little tanks without having to find the space for a big one.

      We've got two acres, and already have deer on a pretty regular basis thanks to the fruit trees. The containers I'm using for garden space this year are up by the house though, I could do one plant per container along with the rest of the stuff.....Hmmmm, tell you what, if no one else asks for the seeds in the next week or so let me know and I'll take'em.

      Delete