Floor Stain Stencil

Floor Stain Stencil

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ugly Food

I made it back home safe and sound
but haven't had the time yet to download any pictures.
A week's supply of caffeine was consumed in a two day time-span.
So, being both wired and tired,
I have yet to gather my thoughts and impressions of this trip.

So instead, I shall digress to a recipe from my childhood.
Grandma K. made it.
Heck, my mom could make it.
(In case you hadn't guessed,
I love her dearly, but she's still a lousy cook.)
I call it ugly food.
Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes fame would probably say
"That looks disgusting!
But curiously if I close my eyes it tastes good!"
Ugly Food
Ingredients:
1 quart canned tomatoes
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
A large handful crispy precooked bacon pieces
Day old bread, toasted

Directions:
Pour off some liquid from the canned tomatoes into a glass.
Add the flour and stir until all the lumps are gone.
In a saucepan, heat the canned tomatoes and the sugar until at a high simmer.  Add the flour & juice mixture.  Stir until thickened.  Add the sliced eggs and 2/3 of the bacon.  Keep it warm until ready to serve.  Toast the bread slices, pour the sauce over it, sprinkle with a few pieces of bacon, and serve.

Note: If a heart healthier version is desired, substitute lean ham for the bacon.

Now it is time to watch some movies until my eyes finally slam shut.  Good night all.  Sleep Sweet.

2 comments:

  1. Glad the trip went safely. I remember the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon where his Mom was making stuffed green peppers and the only reason he would eat them was that she called them "Monkey Brains".

    Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete