Floor Stain Stencil

Floor Stain Stencil

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Conversation with Hubby

So the grocery store had some lamb on sale.  Since mom & stepfather are now in assisted living, I figured that there would actually be some time to cook.  Having gathered some of the ingredients on one of several leisurely shopping expeditions this week, it was time to make lamb curry.  (I had to add a local Indian grocery store to the expedition list, because Penzey's tandoori seasoning is not hot & spicy.  Note, the Indian grocery probably has way better prices on peppercorns too.)  Being still a bit tired (or lazy) I opted for pre-ground spices rather than toasting them and getting the coffee grinder dirty as well.   I had forgotten to get fresh ginger.  The piece in the fridge looked like a mummy's toe, so some ground powdered ginger went into the prefab "hot curry spice blend" along with some more cumin, cinnamon, and turmeric, and a dash of ground cardamom.  After chopping up onions, and pressing some garlic, all was ready.  The onions and garlic were browned in butter and olive oil.  (No, I don't see the point of ghee.  My fridge works fine, and Wisconsin is called the dairy state for a very good reason.  I personally find clarified butter to be rather tasteless and a bit disgusting.)  Then the spice blend was thrown in to bloom in the oil & butter.  Next went the cut up chunks of lamb, that had been trimmed of as much fat as possible.  Once the chunks were browned the lamb bone was thrown in and tomato juice was added to cover.  (Nope, I didn't buy coconut milk either.  This is not authentic, and I don't care.)  Then it was reheated up to a boil and  then turned down to a high simmer/low boil for 1 1/2 hours.  Hubby enjoyed the smell when he came home.  (Note, I had also made a backup stew of beef and potatoes in the pressure cooker, because Indian food doesn't always agree with his insides.  Hence the following discussion.)

Me:  "Hubby, would you like to try some lamb curry?"

Hubby:  "Maybe just a taste.  The color is a bit brown for my liking."

Me:  "So your trouble with curry is that it is basically the same color when it goes in as when it comes back out the other end?"

Hubby:  "Yes, exactly."

Me:  "Then explain to me why you like chocolate."

Hubby:  "Chocolate is a slightly different shade of brown, which makes it better somehow."

And that is the reason why I didn't take a picture of the curry.  (Or maybe I'm still being lazy/resting.  And I need to add ginger and garlic to the shopping list.)

1 comment: