Floor Stain Stencil

Floor Stain Stencil

Friday, February 5, 2016

Sat-Nav Voices

A few years back hubby and I borrowed dad's GPS when we had to take a trip.  In general we found the directions to be a bit iffy (probably because dad hadn't paid to update the data in a while).  We also found the voice rather annoying.  The other day we were watching an episode of Top Gear in which Richard Hammond loved the car, but he was puzzled why the the voice for the sat-nav sounded like a women's prison warder (translation for American English = warden).  Hubby and I turned to each other and said, "So we're not the only ones who don't like the sat-nav voice."  Then hubby said, "I wonder what would happen if someone did a Marilyn Monroe voice for sat-nav?  Even if they got lost, they probably wouldn't mind."  Then I asked "What would happen if someone did Mae West sat-nav directions?"  Hubby replied, "They would probably get so distracted, that they'd have an accident."  Then we got to thinking what would happen if Ferrari contracted with Sophia Loren to do their sat-nav voice?  Oh, and not to leave the female drivers out of the loop, who wouldn't want sat nav directions by Vin Diesel, James Earl Jones, or Bruce Willis?  Unfortunately, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and Sterling Holloway have all passed.  How cool would that be if the voice of Winnie the Pooh gave you driving directions?  So if you had your choice of voices to give you sat-nav directions, who would you pick?

3 comments:

  1. If you're willing to pay for it there are actually a pretty wide selection of voices available for such. Though more and more for the ones on smart phones, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I might be the last human on earth who still hasn't bothered to get a cell phone?

      Just being silly. What voice would you chose if you didn't have to pay extra?

      Delete
    2. Good question. I suspect James Earl Jones. Not just because I love his voice, but because he also pronounces things well and is therefor very understandable. The default voice used on my last cell phone's GPS was horrid to understand and the only reason I'd not replaced it was because I used the GPS so infrequently. I did however completely crack up the first time I heard it pronounced "Syracuse". Either "Seer-a-cuz" or "Sara-cuz" is considered reasonably correct. The GPS said "Sigh-rack-use", and I had to pull over because I was laughing so hard!

      Delete