Floor Stain Stencil

Floor Stain Stencil

Saturday, May 3, 2014

New Boots

Yes, I had to go shopping again for a pair of my old favorites.
Hey, if something works exceptionally well, why change.
So the search for Timberland Chocura Trail hiking boots
began again.
I started by checking the websites of stores in my area.
Scheels didn't have them.
(This was where I bought my first 3 pairs; in their infinite stupidity they don't carry them anymore.)
Gander Mountain didn't have them in the color and size I needed.
(The do sell them in that horrid tan color but were out of my size. You can see what I did to a pair of those
in the pictures at the bottom.)
Fleet Farm - checked the shelves one day when I was there - nope.
Dick's Sporting Goods - nope.
Cabellas - nope.
They had lots of "hiking shoes" in their catalogs that looked like some hideous mutation of my grandmother's crazy quilts.  I don't necessarily try to make my shoes match my clothes, but it would be nice if they at least didn't clash.  Keep in mind with any design, the more seams something has, the more places it has to come unraveled.  They just didn't look like they would hold up to the dirt and torture I devise followed by a quick "cleaning" via garden hose on high pressure.

So I tried a web search for the Timberland women's Chocura Trail Hiking Boots and it came up with Macy's of all places??  Sorry, they're not exactly the first place I would think to go for rugged outdoor gear.  So I checked out their website.  I guess website search engines are gender blind, because Macy's doesn't sell them in women's.  Thankfully, their men's sizes went small enough.  So long story short, I am now cross-dressing in men's boots, but no one will probably notice anyway, because they look the same.

Here are the old suede-ish tan ones.
First of all, it is impossible to get them looking even remotely clean.  I very carefully avoided wearing them in the garden last summer, but one cold winter's day I needed the traction when I had to empty the pellet stove ashes from the shop vac, and the stains just stuck and stayed.  And halfway through the winter, the goretex waterproofing just quit working.  Even with my oldest pair of dark brown ones, they kept out the water really well until I wore holes in the soles.  I didn't like the tan ones at all!  I wish Gander Mountain the best of luck getting rid of their remaining stock of those.  I would not buy them again unless I absolutely could not find the ones in regular leather.
 As usual, they were starting to look like slicks by the time I finally replaced them.
Happy Hiking Everyone!

6 comments:

  1. I wear boats a lot, mostly because I have really wide feet and most "ladies" shoes just aren't comfortable. Those look like they will work well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you really mean to say boats or are you just really tired? Or did spell check make an interesting substitution?

      Oh the boots have officially been christened. I missed picking up a few of Chloe's presents in the yard and stepped in a gushy one. I guess it is time to get out the garden hose from winter storage.

      Delete
  2. I wear Fat Baby's by Ariat. They are a cowboy boot, but with a pair of wool socks they keep my feet warmer than my hiking boots and snow boots. I have 7 pairs right now, 2 of them are specifically for work and outdoor stuff and the others are for just wearing with jeans during the winter months. My work boots are used during elk and deer hunting season which is during snow season. I had a pair of boots similar to yours that I bought at Cabela's about 8 years ago, but since trying the Fat Baby's I have retired my hiking boots. My first pair of Fat Baby's came by way of a friend's daughter who had inherited them from her friends who had passed them down through the family. They wore them while raising pigs and sheep for 4H. The boots were still in good shape after going through all 3 girls. And I haven't worn them out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are the Fat Baby's waterproof? How are they for arch support?

      My cowboy/girl boots are Ariat, but they aren't suitable for slogging through slush because they aren't waterproof.

      Delete
    2. I tried to try on some fat baby boots at Fleet Farm the other day, but I couldn't get my feet into them. The arches are too low. I tried the fat baby professional boots, I could get my feet into those, but they were very loose in the heels, which is a recipe for giant blisters. Thanks for the suggestion, it would have been really nice if they had worked.

      Delete
  3. I need a new pair myself, my current ones aren't water proof any more. Got my eye on the heated winter boots from Columbia, but then I'd have to find something else for summer yard work......

    ReplyDelete