Floor Stain Stencil

Floor Stain Stencil

Friday, December 13, 2013

Interesting Things Happen in Life

in spite of our plans.  I had planned to make Christmas cookies today for the upcoming S. family Christmas gathering, however it was not to be.  I checked on my dad's house this afternoon to find that it was almost as cold inside as the weather outside, 37 deg. F not good.  So I flipped the breaker; the furnace burner kicked on, but the blower didn't start.  I called dad.  He gave me the name of his furnace guy.  The phone book had the office number.  The answering machine had the emergency cell number.  Although the furnace guy can't come until tomorrow, he told me to switch the fan to manual, and thankfully after scaring the furnace by opening and closing an access panel, it fired up both the burner and the blower.  Both the hot and cold taps weren't running, so I figured the main was a bit frozen.  After running home to fetch a space heater, box fan, heavy gauge extension cord, extra batteries for my flashlight and after stopping at Little Ceasar's for a pizza, I went back to dad's and set up the heater and fan in front of the water main connection with the valve turned off, just in case something had ruptured.  Then I settled in with my winter hat and coat on in the living room to eat pizza while watching some Top Gear on Netflix.  Although it was quite funny, watching the winter olympics special was a bit chilly, especially the part where Hammond tests which will stop functioning first in a cold test chamber - him or a little car - brr.  The main thawed, and there appeared to be no leaks in any of the indoor pipes, but just to be on the safe side, I only turn the main on when the toilet tank needs refilling and back off when it is full.

Time to take a hot shower and head back over to dad's house to camp out in the living room overnight; the bedrooms upstairs are still a bit chilly.  Hope the furnace guy can figure out what is wrong tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Your Dad is lucky to have someone resourceful and smart to tend to things. I know it didn't go as planned, but you did a good thing there. Hope it's fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete