Fresh Thyme
Fresh Marjoram
Fresh Marjoram
Fresh Rosemary, Fresh Sage, and Fresh Lavender picked 10/23.
They've been hanging out by the pellet stove drying since then.
The only upside to the cold weather is being able to run the pellet stove to dry herbs. The cold hit rather early and stayed this year, so that the basil was a complete loss. Thankfully, the other herbs that I had planted were a little more cold hardy.
Top to bottom, left to right we have
Rosemary, Sage, Lavender (hanging and in pan below), Catnip,
Marjoram, Thyme, Marigold seeds, and
Pole bean seeds
Once the herbs are removed from their stems, they occupy much less space. Now you see why good, dried herbs and spices are so expensive in the store; they really shrink a lot when dried. The sage and thyme grow as perennials here unless the winter gets very cold. The Rosemary, lavender, and Marjoram plants are not winter hardy here and will probably have to be bought again next spring. Even with the cost of rebuying plants each year, the price was still lower than buying the herbs at a store. I have found it is best to put the year picked on the containers, it makes it easier for stock rotation. Some people cook with lavender, but I think the best use for this batch will be to tie some inside cloths and put them in with the blankets and quilts. I'm not big on perfumes, but this lavender smells good!
The catnip, which only smells good to a cat, is locked away in a plastic bag, safely out of Tigger's reach. Some will be sprinkled on her cardboard scratching station for positive reinforcement or her favorite tennis ball will be coated with catnip sprinkles so she can play. She's getting pretty old; play is rather short and a relative term now. I pity any mouse that crosses her path though - good kitty.





No comments:
Post a Comment