They have served me very well.
Unfortunately,
the tread is almost gone.
And Timberland has informed me that they currently are not making this model boot at the moment.
(I should have bought two pairs when I had the chance.
They seem to make them approximately every 5 years.)
Can anyone recommend another boot brand that carries a comfortable, fairly high arched, ladies' size 8 hiking boot with serious tread, leather uppers and Goretex waterproofing for <$170/pair?
Time to put these back on and wear down the tread some more.


That's not good news for me either. I'm currently wearing the same pair. Mine are in terrible shape and I had planned to purchase another set soon. Like you, I suppose I should have purchased two sets. Oh well.
ReplyDeleteStephen,
ReplyDeleteYou are in luck because the men's sizes are still in stock. The Scheels website has sizes 9-12 on sale for $116.99 w/$5.00 shipping. Unfortunately Scheels never carries mens sizes smaller than 8; bad news for me, but maybe you can get a deal.
I did a little searching and noticed that the The Timberland website has men's sizes 7 and up yet, but the price is $130. I might have to try a little cross-dressing and order the size 7 in men's from Timberland.
Thanks, Mrs. S., I'll try our local Gander Mountain first, then if necessary, the net. I hate to buy boots I haven't tried on. They're all different. I have pair of boots I've owned for well over thirty years. Really. Redwings.
DeleteGood luck, our local Gander Mtn. has a pretty horrible boot selection, unless you have really big feet. I know what you mean about trying on a pair of shoes before buying them. There is no way to tell if the pattern was changed between when you bought the last pair and now. Glad you still have a good pair of Redwings. I have heard they don't make things like they used to.
DeleteHubby has a pair of >30 year old hiking boots with really thick soles from his mom. His feet are actually about the same size as mine, only a little wider. But I wouldn't dream of borrowing them, because I would probably destroy those too.
I don't unfortunetly. I usually pick up a pair of womens work boots and wear them for everything till they fall apart and repeat. They usually last at least a few years (the record was 10), and cost way less than that.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info. Is there a particular brand that works for you? I have tried work boots with very little success. Maybe you have a better selection of stores where you live. Most of the work shoes around here are not waterproof in snow and mud, or they give me blisters, or hurt my arches, especially the steel toed ones. Wish I could find something inexpensive that works well, but most inexpensive shoes and boots would be destroyed within a couple of months, or they would get exiled to the rarely used shoe bin or trash for causing pain.
ReplyDeleteShoe manufacturers could send me their shoes for destructive testing.
The pair of boots shown has lasted for two years of being worn every day. Even considering a replacement cost of $130, the daily cost is just under 18 cents a day. (The price has definitely gone up since the last time I bought them.) Compare that to the expense and aggravation of buying 3 or 4 pairs of $40-$80 dollar shoes that don't work right, it is an extravagance I am willing to pay.
Keeping in mind that my arches have never been an issue so I can't compare: I prefer Timberlands, and the ones I have right now are from their Pro series. Gimme a bit and I'll toss a picture and see if I can find a link for you up to a website on my blog...I don't recall for sure how much they cost but I'm pretty sure they were less than $100, I'll admit they don't get worn every day for the summer (but definetly for at least some of hte summer), but definetly every day from mid fall to mid spring, snow, slush, rain, etc.
DeleteAs for buying, I got mine (and will get my next pair) from a little privately own shop in Syracuse NY that specializes in shoes/clothes/etc for "working peoples" mostly Carhart type stuff essentially though they had some scrubs too. Not only were their prices comparable, but the customer service can't be beat and they had some of the best selection of women's work boots I've seen in a while.
The 10yr boots I've never found again and it appears the company no longer makes them. I was quite upset as I loved those boots.
NuShoe might be able to help for less than the cost of new: http://www.nushoe.com/
ReplyDeleteI have used them twice with good results.